10/09/2008

For a list of the World's Top 200 Universities

The Times Higher Education has a report on the top 200 universities in the world. The top ten are reportedly:

Harvard
Yale
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
California Institute of Technology
Imperial College London
University College London
University of Chicago
MIT
Columbia

My own belief is that the Brits who put this survey together are a little bit biased towards their own country. For example, if a student were asking whether they should go to Princeton or the University College of London, I don't think that it would be a close call, but they say that for most degrees you should pick the later. I might be interesting to compare their ranking for US schools against other rankings for US schools because I would guess that they won't match up very well. For whatever it is worth, in my own small area of expertise, the best UK school regarding economics is the London School of Economics, and they do have some very good people there. But the LSE is ranked well down at 66th.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger The Right Guy said...

John:
You would have much better perspective than I do, having been in academia for a large part of your life. I went to two state schools in NY, number 40 on the list, and two online schools. Other than having more interesting guest speakers, and being in a groovy neighborhood, may be the biggest difference was a bigger bill. May be it would be different had I gone to one in the top ten, but somehow I doubt it. Is the sheepskin from these schools worth that much more?

10/09/2008 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no offense but how is UCLA over UC Berkeley?

10/09/2008 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Stanford and UC Berkeley in top 10 - are you kidding me!

10/09/2008 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home