1/31/2009

Juliette, Georgia Defensive Gun Use

Here is a case from Georgia

Thursday, Jan. 29, 2009

Juliette man defends home from invasion
By Ashley Tusan Joyner - ajoyner@macon.com

JULIETTE — Marvin Bowdoin was sitting at his desk when the “cat bandit” kicked in his kitchen door Tuesday night, he said.
It was shortly after 9 p.m.

The 67-year-old Juliette grocer said he and his wife arrived at their residence on Juliette Road just in time to watch the last 30 minutes of “American Idol.” It had been a late closing at the family’s general merchandise store, Bowdoin’s Grocery.
The husband and wife finished the TV show. Then he left her in the den, walked down the hall to his office and started to sort through the day’s business receipts.
“She hadn’t made supper but she stayed in that room for some reason,” Bowdoin said Wednesday from his popular Juliette store, known for fishing tackle and tender cuts of beef.
“When I sat down, I heard that door crash open for some reason and I knew someone was in the house.”
Bowdoin said within seconds the intruder had gone from the kitchen to the dining room and nearly to the foyer with a shotgun in hand.
That’s where Bowdoin stopped the bandit — firing two shots from his .22 Magnum revolver.
“I tried to do my best to protect my family,” he said.
“This weapon was in my pocket. I tote a weapon every day of my life. It’s never away from me at any point. It’s some mean folks out there.”
The invader, not injured, fell to the floor before standing up and running back into the kitchen and out of the home. Bowdoin didn’t chase the person or keep firing.
Dressed head to toe in dark clothing, Bowdoin said he couldn’t tell a thing about the person’s appearance. They exchanged no words.
“I’m guessing it was a he, and he was short,” Bowdoin said.
The neighborhood grocer said had he used one of his three other firearms, he might have made a more precise shot.
“I’m just glad me and my wife are alive,” he said.
Bowdoin’s wife, Linda, stayed in the den during the incident. . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home