4/20/2010

White House closes Lafayette Park due to protestors


I have tried doing news searches, but I can't find any stories about Nixon closing Lafayette Park during the Vietnam War protests. As a kid, I remember those protests getting lots of news coverage. If anyone can find cases where previous presidents have closed the park due to protestors, I would appreciate it. It is troubling that the press has no problem with the public being removed from the park. They only seem to care that they also have to be removed.

UPDATE: Politico reports:

People who have covered the White House for years tell me that's an extremely unusual thing to do in an area that regularly features protests.

A reporter can be seen in the YouTube video above calling the move "outrageous" and "ridiculous."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home