6/28/2010

Obama's misinformation about the deficits

These deficits are not what Obama promised. Indeed, he promised the opposite.

President Obama on controlling the debt: "Somehow people say, why are you doing that, I'm not sure that's good politics. I'm doing it because I said I was going to do it and I think it's the right thing to do. People should learn that lesson about me because next year when I start presenting some very difficult choices to the country, I hope some of these folks who are hollering about deficits and debt step-up because I'm calling their bluff. We'll see how much of that, how much of the political arguments that they're making right now are real and how much of it was just politics."


Take some of the promises that Obama made during the third presidential debate.

OBAMA: And we are now looking at a deficit of well over half a trillion dollars.

So one of the things that I think we have to recognize is pursuing the same kinds of policies that we pursued over the last eight years is not going to bring down the deficit. And, frankly, Senator McCain voted for four out of five of President Bush's budgets.

We've got to take this in a new direction, that's what I propose as president. . . . .

OBAMA: . . . . But there is no doubt that we've been living beyond our means and we're going to have to make some adjustments.

Now, what I've done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut. . . . .


From the second debate.

But I think it's important just to remember a little bit of history. When George Bush came into office, we had surpluses. And now we have half-a-trillion-dollar deficit annually.

When George Bush came into office, our debt -- national debt was around $5 trillion. It's now over $10 trillion. We've almost doubled it.

And so while it's true that nobody's completely innocent here, we have had over the last eight years the biggest increases in deficit spending and national debt in our history. And Sen. McCain voted for four out of five of those George Bush budgets. . . . And what I've proposed, you'll hear Sen. McCain say, well, he's proposing a whole bunch of new spending, but actually I'm cutting more than I'm spending so that it will be a net spending cut.

The key is whether or not we've got priorities that are working for you as opposed to those who have been dictating the policy in Washington lately, and that's mostly lobbyists and special interests. We've got to put an end to that.


From the first debate.

OBAMA: I just want to make this point, Jim. John, it's been your president who you said you agreed with 90 percent of the time who presided over this increase in spending. This orgy of spending and enormous deficits you voted for almost all of his budgets. So to stand here and after eight years and say that you're going to lead on controlling spending and, you know, balancing our tax cuts so that they help middle class families when over the last eight years that hasn't happened I think just is, you know, kind of hard to swallow.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the scariest Obama quotes I've seen in a long time.

"Right thing to do." I know what's best for you, and I'm giving it to you good and hard.

"Learn that lesson about me." You child, you.

"Hard choices." No choice at all. Listen to him boasting about ramming Health Care through.

Most of all, though, "I said I was going to do it." He's not talking about what he said during the 09 Presidential Campaign, he's talking about what he and his mentors were talking about back before anybody knew who he was.

6/28/2010 6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typo: "...during the '08...campaign."
Gah.

6/28/2010 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home