3/03/2011

Wyoming drops permit requirement for concealed carry

The AP keeps ignoring that Montana allows concealed carry without a permit in 99.4% of the state. There are a lot of pro-self-defense laws being passed by states this year. Anyway, here is the AP piece on Wyoming.

Wyoming on Wednesday became the fourth state to allow citizens to carry concealed guns without a permit, with Gov. Matt Mead signing a bill into law as several other states considered similar action.
The law allows state citizens legally entitled to own guns to carry them concealed starting in July. The guns still wouldn’t be allowed in schools, bars and government buildings.
“We have heard from both sides on this, this bill has attracted a lot of attention,” Mead said at a signing ceremony at the State Capitol. “But as written, I thought it was an appropriate bill for Wyoming, and an appropriate law for Wyoming.”
Similar bills are pending in states including Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Utah. A bill has been introduced in Kentucky but hasn’t advanced while another was introduced for discussion in Idaho. . . .


In Colorado, the state House overwhelmingly passed a similar bill.

The Colorado House has approved and sent to the Senate a bill that would allow people to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
The House voted 40-25 to pass the bill Wednesday.
It wouldn't change laws governing who is allowed to carry a concealed weapon, but the people who do meet the legal requirements would no longer need a county permit. . . .


A similar bill is advancing in Utah.

After failing to win approval by the committee last time it was heard, Wimmer’s bill passed on a 7-6 vote and goes to the floor for consideration.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rail Claimore said...

Colorado's bill will have to deal with pre-emption issues. And it's likely to be vetoed by Gov Hickenlooper.

3/03/2011 9:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here in Utah the sponsors of the bill allowed an unfriendly amendment by Rep Perry to be added. Notification to an officer. A careful reading of the amendment shows that it would apply to permit-holders. Furthermore, the definition of “lawful contact” is so broad that it could be interpreted to require notification under virtually any routine interaction between citizens and police officers.

A felon doesn't even have to tell them according to the courts ruling. You have so many different mentalities about concealed carry among law enforcement. It serves no purpose. We aren't the people you have to worry about. Even non concealed carry people have been able carry a weapon in their vehicle, so what is the purpose? This last year legislation dropped the notification from concealed carry. There is no president for it.

If they can't strip this amendment from the bill, they should kill it and start over next year, which is what I wrote them to do.

3/05/2011 7:27 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear HK:
I am not sure why it is a problem to tell an officer that someone is carrying. Could you explain to me what concerns you so much about this?

3/05/2011 10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for your response. I might note before I forget, the USSF (Utah Shooting Sports Foundation) sent an alert on this amendment, with the same thinking.

Some years back I was stopped for going too fast while passing, and I was going a little faster than I intended, as it was downhill. I thought I would let the speed coast down, rather than brake. A patrol car came around a bend ahead of me. He just gave me a warning ticket, but told me it was against the law to pass going over the speed limit. Well, my big mouth, I told him it was unsafe to stay in the other lane too long, especially in out terrain here in the mountains, short passing lanes on two lane roads, etc. You could see the red get redder in his face. He was wishing he hadn't written a warning.

He stormed back to his car and stewed till he could find something to hammer me with. Our drivers license record is listed as concealed carry, another reason he doesn't need to be told. His anxiety level was high. He ask if I was carrying & if it was fully loaded. I responded it was & that I was entitled to carry fully loaded. He bellowed back that he knew that. As I said he was hot! He went into a tirade about if I had been in Salt Lake, the officer would have hauled me off to jail, etc, etc. Then when he got through, he told me that next time I shouldn't get so excited???? It was a whole lot the reverse. I was quite calm throughout.

The last thing I was thinking about was carrying, I was worried about getting a ticket.

Would have preferred to have sent this email, and you probably don't care to post it either, which is fine by me. It is a little personal. I'm in my 60s and not a hothead. I'm very considerate and I always keep my hands on the steering wheel for the police to see. I just can't stand something that's actually dangerous being preached. Thanks for your interest, and excuse my not condensing my reply.

3/06/2011 1:21 AM  
Blogger Aaron Turpen said...

In Utah, you'll have to deal with powerful lobbyists like Clark Aposhian who makes his living teaching firearms training for CCW and has torpedoed bills like the current Vermont Carry in the past. He's a big name in the "pro gun" movement there, but attacks anything that might hurt his income.

Here in Wyoming, we had no such opposition and it passed easily with only the usual, expected stupid arguments coming out against it.

7/03/2011 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home